Tuesday 13 March 2012

A positive work environment

This one is going to be short.


A recent incident at my workplace got me thinking.


9th March i.e the recent Friday. I had mixed emotions while going to work. Sad as I was going after a public holiday. Happy as it would be followed by the 'LIFE SAVING'   Saturday and Sunday. Well, little did I know fate planned for me to work on both of those days.


Well, to be honest, I was glad to have assigned work for the day. It would help pass time quickly. Also, I was glad to shoulder responsibility. I began my set of duties, with occasional chatting among my colleagues.


Lunch was splendid, packed from home. I was struggling then, with sleep overcoming me. Food prepared by parents, with love, do that you. Was glad for the strong tea around 2.30 pm for bringing me back to my senses.


Soon, I was left with one last hour to go, before the weekend. I dropped my plans of staying beyond 5 pm by then. Working extra wont significantly help today, I told myself.


Just then, an e-mail popped up on screen.


" Good Bye friends, till we meet again".


One of my colleagues, was spending his last day in the organization. Now, people go and come all the time in my line of work. I was accustomed to seeing such messages.


The message was a standard goodbye letter written to colleagues. It was heartfelt and sincere. A warm feeling was evoked.


A few minutes later, one of the higher management staff responded to the message. He thanked the employee for his contributions and wished him luck for the future.


He made the critical mistake of misspelling the employee's name.


Now, you could say that its only a spelling mistake. It is trivial and may be the top official was busy with a handful of work, hence it was just a typo. As valid as that case may be, I do not think a typo could be counted as trivial. Certainly not in a situation like this.


Imagine, an employee, putting in hard years of service at an organization. In those years, a person is transformed totally. He / she acquires skills. Knowledge is enhanced. Memories are created. Life-long friendships are fostered.


The last day of employee at any organization is sure to stir up a multitude of emotions within the individual. Happiness at having worked hard and contributing to the organization. Sorrow at leaving the company and comfort enjoyed among colleagues. Happiness again at better prospects on the road ahead. Fear possibly about the road ahead. Confusion about company exit policies. An uncertain feeling about how to say goodbye.


However, the employee would have felt plain embarrassed. Why, I myself was feeling that way. A single typo obliterated whatever little genuineness would have been there in wishing the employee luck for the future. It seemed as if the boss wanted to write a reply, just for the sake of writing it. It also shows the carelessness of the boss. Well, the boss just made himself look poor in front of the entire firm.


That just got me thinking. How sincere is the workplace today ?


Is it just about profitability, positive cash flow etc ? People work to earn a living. But is there any point of life which is not shared with others ? Many at the workplace discuss their personal lives. But just how many are sincere about it ? Is it all right to forget an employee just because you care more about running the firm ?


I do not claim to be perfect with emotions. No one is. For all you know, this case could be genuine with probably no one at fault.


My point however is, today the result oriented competition, is definitely killing the spirit of youth within us. It has come to a point that all we care about is ourselves. Our work. Our lives. Well, one could say that there is no way out.


Except if we make a conscious effort from our side. Sincerity should never be strained. Strive to maintain the atmosphere at the workplace calm. Happiness multiplies. Unfortunately, sorrows multiply too. A positive relationship with everyone goes a long way.


Its important as today, in a world filled with uncertainty, you never know who has got your back.



No comments:

Post a Comment